Jon Fedyk is a technology and efficiency specialist with 25 years of experience in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
I am not available for international or relocation opportunities. I am open to talking with those with specific problems in IT transformations and how I may help in specific mentoring needs. Serious employers may contact me regarding opportunities.
Management and Leadership
As a Solutions Designer I currently manage and oversee the technical architecture of the Digital Document Solutions service team, mentor team members and provide technical leadership to the organization. I bring innovative, modern management ideas to IT, including Agile, Kanban, DevOps and continuous improvement practices along with a business focus strategy for IT.
My 25 years experience in Information Technology across Operations and Developer roles along with organizational transformation knowledge provides a unique background suitable to mentoring teams with the goal of improving value delivery.
I have held leadership positions a number of times in my career:
- Architect Owner, DDS Team, Co-operators Life (ongoing, 2+ years).
- Team Lead, DDS Team, Co-operators Life (1 year).
- Acting Supervisor, Wintel Team, Co-operators Life (9 months).
- Team Lead, IT Procurement, SaskPower (1 year).
- Team Lead, Software QA, ISM-BC, (1 year).
I started coding in grade school in BASIC, learning other languages later in life, to the Python/Django stack I prefer today. I have many years experience in operations and developer roles, so I bring a unique, cross-function perspective to teams undergoing the challenges of Agile and DevOps transformations. I believe in:
- Agile development, automated testing, continuous integration.
- Managing work-in-progress to improve throughput.
- Distributed version control (Git, Mercurial).
- Automated deployment and provisioning processes.
- Coding standards (like PEP 8).
- Paying down technical debt.
- Using the right tool for the job.
- Thinking about performance, security, maintainability, metrics and monitoring during the development process.
Operations and System Administration
I have worked with a wide variety of platforms and systems, including Windows and Linux. In over 10 years of experience in Operations and System Administration, I have:
- Proposed the adoption of new techniques to manage work-in-progress to speed delivery to the business while maintaining a stable environment.
- Transitioned the company to the Cisco UCS platform to save 40% in capital costs and 50% in hardware management labour.
- Adopted virtualization on the VMware platform to accommodate explosive growth and acquisitions by the business that could not have been accommodated otherwise.
- Implemented File Transfer Services to consolidate all legacy internal and external file transfers under a single service, reducing after hour call outs.
- Problem Solver
- Team Builder
- Django, Python and Python tools
- Network, computing, storage and virtualization convergence
- Automation of every aspect of infrastructure support — DevOps
- Open data/public data web applications
- Iterative development, automated deployments, testing, rollbacks
- Statistics and data presentation
Primary Skill Set
- Experience with implementing Agile at the team and corporate level and implementing processes to increase throughput.
- Decision maker, road maps and planning for eliminating technical debt, exiting end-of-life platforms and moving towards corporate reference architecture.
- Knowledge and experience in technical solutions for high availability, virtualization, scaling solutions and performance among others.
- Informed of current technology trends and topics.
- Preparing well researched papers on technology issues and directions.
- Experience with Enterprise IT issues from the data centre to acquisitions to technology choices.
- Developing web sites in Django, automation in Python and bash.
- .NET – C# development
- Agile Engineering, TDD, BDD
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win (Kim et al.)
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement (Goldratt et al.)
- Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for your Technology Business (Anderson)
- Managing Humans: Biting and Humorous Tales of a Software Engineering Manager (Lopp)
- Being Geek: The Software Developer’s Career Handbook (Lopp)
- The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering (Brooks)
- Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky’s Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent (Spolsky)
- Head First Statistics (Griffiths)
- Head First Data Analysis (Milton)
- Information Dashboard Design (Few)
- Show Me The Numbers (Few)
- Now You See It (Few)
- Getting Things Done (Allen)
- The Now Habit (Fiore)